Financial Support: Finding Support

Admitted applicants to the CS graduate program will automatically be considered by the CS admissions committee for fellowships and teaching assistantships. CS faculty members may, at their discretion, award research assistantships. Students with potential for obtaining a doctoral degree are given priority. It is possible to be admitted without support.

In the fall of 2016, all of the incoming PhD students are supported by departmental funds in terms of fellowships and assistantships. The CS department is supporting 118 graduate research assistants, 98 graduate teaching assistants, and 9 Fellows.

All incoming and current CS graduate students may seek support from other Purdue departments and offices. At least 61 of our graduate students receive support from other Purdue entities.


Many of our students find well paying summer internships with our corporate partners.

CS Teaching Assistantships:

Graduate students who want to be considered for TAships should complete this form here.

Continuing CS graduate students should update their personal pages to include resumes and other relevant information. Please do not ask the instructors of courses for TAships because the instructors do not assign TAs. The Academic Services Manager makes the selection.

CS Research Assistantships:

Please do not send unsolicited messages. Incoming students will be contacted by faculty members interested in extending an offer based on their application. Current graduate students seeking a research assistantship should attend research group meetings.

Other Purdue Departments and Offices:
The CS graduate office will send out notices to CS graduate students regarding graduate assistantships in other departments.

CS graduate students may also contact the Mathematics Department and the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures regarding teaching assistantships.

Positions with Information Technology at Purdue are occasionally posted by supervisors on SSINFO or the ITaP student employment website:

The Libraries Research Department may have openings as well. Please contact the Libraries Human Resources (494-2899) or the hiring supervisor: Michael Witt, Assistant Professor of Library Science, (765) 494-8703,

Residence Hall Assistants:
All CS graduate students may apply for a residence hall assistanship. University residences cover tuition and fees for out-of-state graduate residence hall assistants as though they are an Indiana resident. Applications should be made to the Director of Residential Life, Smalley Center, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 in the fall.

All University fees and tuition are subject to change without notice.

Contact Us: