Prelim Procedure Instructions - Department of Computer Science - Purdue University Skip to main content

Procedure for Students Arranging a Preliminary Examination


  • Be sure that your plan of study has been approved.

  • Discuss with your advisor(s) the name of a regular CS faculty member (not courtesy) with background relevant to your research, who will join with your advisory committee to form the examining committee. This faculty should not be on your Plan of Study and must be on campus.
  • Go to and read the requirements and follow the rules that apply to you.

  • For more information, read the related sections of the Graduate School's Policies and Procedures Manual:

Get approvals

  • Send an e-mail to with the Subject Line: "Preliminary Exam Committee". Your message should include:
    1. Your full name
    2. Your advisor’s name
    3. The members of your advisory committee
    4. The name of the faculty member you and your advisor suggest to be appointed as an additional member of your exam committee. Provide email documentation that s/he has agreed to serve as the additional member.
    5. A paragraph describing your research

The Graduate Secretary will process your prelim exam committee request and obtain approval from the Chair of the CS Graduate Committee and others as needed. When your prelim exam committee has been formed and approved, you will be notified via email that you may proceed with scheduling the exam.

  • Reserve a room, Add Events here:

  • Go to MyPurdue to complete Form 8 (for instructions)

    • The title of the thesis is tentative.

    • This request must be received by the Graduate School at least 3 weeks prior to the requested exam date.

    • When the Form 8 is approved, a Form 10 (Report of Exam Results) will be created for the committee.

Exam day

  • Stop by the CS Graduate Office to confirm that your exam will take place.
  • After the exam, the committee should complete the electronic Form 10 (Report of Exam Results) online.  It will be visible to and must be signed by the Committee Chair first, and then will be available to the remainder of the examining committee.  The supplementary exam form has been integrated into the Form 11 and is no longer needed on paper.


Last Updated: Jul 11, 2022 1:51 PM

Department of Computer Science, 305 N. University Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907

Phone: (765) 494-6010 • Fax: (765) 494-0739

Copyright © 2024 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact the College of Science.