Remote access to CS Facilities - Department of Computer Science - Purdue University Skip to main content

Remote access to CS Facilities

This information is intended for those with authorized access to CS Department Facilities only.

Remote Shell Access

The CS Department UNIX systems accept remote shell access to authorized users via SSH. When configured and used properly it should provide reasonable authentication and security. Our servers support SSH2.  As of August 6, 2023, login requires Purdue 2-factor authentication.

Modern Linux, MacOS X and UNIX systems have SSH client software installed.

The recommended Windows client is Simon Tatham's PuTTY suite of programs. If you want only the SSH client, you can save putty.exe to your local disk and run it. Visit the PuTTY site for the complete suite, documentation, etc.

PuTTY saves host keys in the Windows registry and does not use host keys stored in a file. However, we do make our our public host keys file available for manual verification. You can also get the public key fingerprints.

Remote Email Access

Purdue IT provides documentation for their email services.

Remote Share Access

Access to CS SMB shares (served by Windows machines or Samba servers on Linux machines) is only possible through a campus VPN connection or SSH tunneling. Visit the Purdue VPN page for information on setting up a VPN connection with a Windows machine.

In general, access authentication is the domain name "BoilerAD", your Purdue login and your Purdue password. How you specify the domain and login is dependent on your client -- typically with Windows it would be BoilerAD\login. Linux clients may expect BoilerAD/login or login/BoilerAD (note case is likely irrelevant -- BoilerAD/boilerad/BOILERAD).

For instructions on using SSH to tunnel SMB mounts with Linux, see our UNIX FAQ.

IT Staff

Last Updated: Jan 9, 2024 9:28 AM

Department of Computer Science, 305 N. University Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907

Phone: (765) 494-6010 • Fax: (765) 494-0739

Copyright © 2024 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact the College of Science.