- Undergraduate Program
- Why major in computer science?
- Why choose Purdue?
- Academic Advisors
- Student Life
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Student Concerns
- Undergraduate Research
- CS 18000 Proficiency Exam
- Artificial Intelligence Degree Requirements
- Computer Science Degree Requirements
- Data Science Degree Requirements
- Minor in Computer Science
- BS/MS Degree Program in CS
- Honors in Computer Science
- Cooperative Education Program
- Curriculum Resources
- Bridge Program
Data Science Capstone Experience
In the capstone experience, students will be challenged to integrate their accumulated knowledge and technical and social skills in order to identify and solve a problem relevant to issues encountered by data scientists, and to communicate the results of their efforts to their peers. In doing so, students will have the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to adapt to professional situations.
An approved capstone course or experience involves a larger project or research experience designed to practice, apply, and showcase the knowledge of the entire data science pipeline skills learned. This may include appropriate work done as part of an internship, a research project done at a university, EPICS, independent coursework, or other experience as approved by the data science faculty.
0 or 3 credits in CS or STAT
Capstone Options for Data Science Majors (May 2018)
For-credit course options
- An approved unpaid research opportunity in the area of data science fulfills the capstone experience CS or STAT 39000 or 49000 Research project in Data Science (independent study)
- Honors projects in the area of data science (CS 49700)
- EPICS 411 and 412 in area of data science (team project only)
- CS 30700 with a project in the area of data science. When CS 30700 is taken as a Capstone course, it cannot count as one of the two CS electives. CS 30700 does not allow individual projects
(Students must also take another elective in CS or STAT to meet credit requirements.)
- Data science internship: An approved internship in the area of data science fulfills the capstone experience (Zero-credit CS or STAT 38600, CS or STAT 48700)
- Co-op: An approved co-op experience in the area of data science fulfills the capstone experience (Zero-credit CS or STAT 38600, CS or STAT 48700)
- Undergraduate research opportunities: An approved paid research opportunity in the area of data science fulfills the capstone experience (Zero-credit CS or STAT 39000 or 49000: Research Project in Data Science)