Purdue University - Department of Computer Science - Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Skip to main content

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant

Summer Bridge Teaching Assistant:

The Computer Science Bridge Program is a two-week program in August to teach the fundamentals of programming and the Java programming language to incoming freshmen who have little to no experience with coding. The 2022 Bridge Program will run from July 31 - Aug. 12. Applicants should be able to work for the entire duration of the program. TAs for this position will be required to work in person in lab environments for four hours a day. Meals are paid for, housing is not. A remote option of Bridge 2022 may be offered depending on the needs of the students; however, all efforts will be made to have Bridge 2022 operate entirely in-person. An ideal candidate for this position should be proficient in Java and enjoy or have a passion for teaching others, particularly those with little to no experience.


International Applicants: 

For COVID-19 safety, international students wanting to TA in-person must follow Protect Purdue guidelines regarding international travel. As of the posting of this application, these guidelines are as follows:

  1. If fully vaccinated (with an approved vaccine, including booster shots), there is no need to self-quarantine, however, a test for COVID-19 must be completed within 3-5 days upon arrival in the U.S. and any COVID-19 symptoms must be reported to PPHC should they develop. 
  2. If not fully vaccinated, before coming to Purdue's campus, international TAs must quarantine for 7 days upon arrival in the U.S. AND test for COVID-19 3-5 days upon arrival. If the test is negative, international TAs must still complete the 7-day self-quarantine.
  3. Whether fully vaccinated or not, if after the screening tests, symptoms develop within 14 days of arrival, report to the PPHC for more testing and guidance. 

These quarantine requirements are subject to change as we move through spring semester and the summer. If quarantining ahead of time is not available, or if the specific quarantine requirements are altered or restricted entirely, all international TAs will be assigned to an online Bridge option, if one is needed.

Applications close April 8th at 11:59pm.

CS Bridge TA Application


Undergraduate Teaching Assistants (UTA) are employed in many undergraduate CS courses (15900, 17700,  18000, 24000, 25000, etc.). UTAs assist Faculty & Staff in daily course operations and provide instructional aide to course students. UTAs may grade course content, create/troubleshoot course content, hold office hours, conduct laboratory or PSO sessions, and perform clerical/administrative tasks. Duties and responsibilities may vary based on course and instructor. Interested applicants should have previous course experience with a B or better, previous TA experience is preferred, intermediate working knowledge of course tools and terminology. A minimum commitment of 5 hours a week.

  • Starting pay is $9/hour.
  • Interested students should apply here:
  • Summer and Fall 2022 Applications open March 21st. 
  • CS UTA Application

(Courses TAs fill up fast, so don't wait too long.)

Last Updated: Mar 23, 2022 5:01 PM

Department of Computer Science, 305 N. University Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907

Phone: (765) 494-6010 • Fax: (765) 494-0739

Copyright © 2021 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact the College of Science.