2005 Distinguished Alumnus
Mr. R. Curtis Worsey
B.S. 1980, Computer Science
Independent Consultant and Former Partner with Accenture.
Curt Worsey has spent 25 years in the technology and management consulting world and recently retired as a Partner from Accenture, the worlds leading global management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company. Curt is currently assisting organizations with business strategy, operations, and leadership development. During his tenure at Accenture, Curt assisted clients with technology strategy and business improvement programs in the areas of Finance operations, Outsourcing, Corporate Performance Management (Metrics Development and Reporting), Sales Force Effectiveness and the implementation of large-scale enterprise systems He was one of the firm’s early leaders in reengineering Finance organizations and the application of Balanced Scorecards for business performance, and has spent most of his career serving High Technology, Aerospace and Biotech clients. Curt was also very active in the delivery of Personal and Professional Leadership programs within the firm and for his clients.
From Coding to Entrepreneurship: The Consulting Life of a CS Graduate
This informal talk revolves around how a ‘programmer’ made a successful career in consulting and will attempt to dispel the myth “those who can’t do, consult”. The journey and evolution of a consulting lifestyle through two recessions, a tech boom and its bust will be discussed. Topics to be touched upon are:
- How Consulting can be a rewarding career for a Computer Science graduate
- Balancing the love for technology details with Entrepreneurship
- Using technical prowess as a learning launching pad
- Multiple ways to succeed - The generalist vs. the specialist
- Surviving the downturns - A focus on constant renewal
- Best preparations from campus life and what had to be learned
- Observations on technology needs, corporate behavior, outsourcing, etc.
- What would I change if I started all over