GoBoiler Frequently Asked Questions
- When does the program occur?
- Does the program pay a stipend?
- Is there travel support?
- What housing accommodations are there?
- How will I get to campus?
- What will I do in the internship?
- How do I apply?
- Who can apply?
- What type of visa do I need?
- Is my stipend taxable?
When does the program occur?
The GoBoiler internship program is currently on hiatus.
Does the program pay a stipend?
Yes, GoBoiler interns will receive a $2000 living allowance.
Is there travel support?
The internship provides reimbursement of travel costs up to $1000. Round trip airfare in economy/coach class from your home airport will be covered. Ground transportation to your departure airport, and from the Indianapolis airport (IND) to Purdue, will be covered. You will also have a food allowance while traveling.
What housing accommodations are there?
The computer science department has reserved two group houses for participating students. All utilities are provided by the department. The houses have both single occupancy and shared bedrooms. The department will make room assignments.
How will I get to campus?
The intern houses are close to city bus routes that goes to the Purdue campus. The bus fare is free with the Purdue ID card interns will receive.
What will I do in the internship?
GoBoiler interns will be embedded with a research group and the PhD students in the group. Interns select projects of interest during the application process. The first choice selection cannot be guaranteed.
How do I apply?
The GoBoiler internship program is currently on hiatus and is not accepting applications.
GoBoiler applicants should submit the following materials to the firstname.lastname@example.org email address:
- Official transcript (PDF format)
- Name and email of a faculty reference (someone you have done research with or taken a course from)
- Cover letter (PDF format) which includes:
- Description of your research interests
- List the GoBoiler projects you are most interested in
- Describe your prior research experience (including any research publications)
- Describe any other relevant background related to your research preparedness.
Please limit your letter to two pages (no smaller than 11pt font and 1.5 line spacing). Do not send the reference letter yourself. Purdue will contact your faculty reference directly.
Who can apply?
For the 2020 program, the Computer Science Department is targeting students from European schools.
What type of visa do I need?
The J-1 visa will suffice for this program.
Is my stipend taxable?
According to the United States Internal Revenue Service, the University must withhold a 14% federal income tax from stipend payments, unless you are exempt from tax because of a treaty between your country of residence and the United States.