Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, 1968
M.S. in Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1964
B.Sc. in Civil Engineering, University of Alexandria, Egypt, 1961
Awards & Honors
- Phi Kappa Phi; Sigma Xi.
- Fulbright Fellow, 1963-1964.
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students: Fall `74,
Fall `75, Fall `78, Spring `80, Spring `81, Spring `82, Fall `82,
- Appointed an Associate in the Center for Advanced Study on a
full-time basis for two semesters of the 1991-92 academic year.
(Declined in order to accept position of Head of Computer Science at
the University of Minnesota.)
- William Norris Chair in Large Scale Computing, 1991-1992,
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of
- Samuel D. Conte Professor of Computer Science, 1997-present.
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers,
- Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery, 1999-present.
- IEEE's 1999 Harry Goode Award for "seminal and
influential work in parallel numerical algorithms".
Recent Grants and Contracts
Areas of Research
- Parallel Algorithms in Numerical Linear Algebra.
Editorships of Journals
- Editorial Board of International Journal of Parallel
- Editor, IEEE Computational Science & Engineering,
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Computational Science & Engineering,
- Editor, Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications,
- Managing Editor, International Journal of High Speed Computing,
- Editor, Computer Physics Communications, 1986-1991.
- Editor, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing,
- Editorial Board of Parallel Computing, 1984-present.
- Assoc. Editor of it SIAM Journal on Scientific and Statistical
- Editor of IEEE Transactions on Computers, 1983-1987.
- Advisory Board of Computing, 1976-1978.
Other Scholarly Activities
- International Conference on Parallel Processing, Program
- National Research Council Panel for NIST Computing, 1987-1992.
- International Conference on Supercomputing, Conference
- Member of the External Advisory Committee for the Kentucky
NSF/EPSCoR Grant, 1992-1994.
Advisory Committee, 10-th International Parallel Processing
Universities Space Research Association, Consultant, 1992-1997.
- Fellow, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- Fellow, The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science